…and your travel plans in Kenya & Tanzania
Dear Jambo Kilimanjaro clients!
The situation is changing daily and there is constantly new information regarding the spread and related restrictions. Due to the very dynamic situation we recommend to check with the German Foreign Office or GOV.UK.
The German government has introduced differentiated travel and safety advisories per country from 01.10.2020. These will be based on the assessment of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI).
Kenya is currently one of the “normal” risk countries. The quarantine upon return normally lasts 10 days, but can be ended prematurely with a negative PCR test on the 5th day. More details are regulated by the regulations of the individual federal states. Kenya has lifted (at the beginning of May) the travel restrictions (lockdowns) in five provinces. This means that all round trips and fly-in safaris in Kenya are possible again. After the rainy season in April/May, the season starts again in June. We would be happy to plan your trip! Please note the following entry restrictions (health form and negative PCR test).
Tanzania has been classified as a high-incidence area with effect from 14/03/2021. This means that a test in Tanzania is necessary before the return flight, which is a maximum of 48 hours old when re-entering Germany. The 10-day quarantine after return may not be shortened, depending on the respective federal state. Planning a trip to Tanzania is possible at any time, from the 2nd half of the year we are happy to offer trips to Tanzania again. Click here for the current entry restrictions in Tanzania (health form, negative PCR test, rapid test on entry).
The following “obligations” must now be observed:
2. compulsory testing: travellers entering and returning to Tanzania who have stayed in a high incidence area or a virus variant area must present proof of a negative test to the carrier/airline on departure and to the Federal Police on entry. In principle, nucleic acid amplification techniques (PCR, LAMP, TMA) and antigen tests are recognised. An overview of all recognised antigen tests can be found at the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices.
3. quarantine obligation:
– Risk area: 10 days quarantine -> free testing possible after 5 days.
– High incidence area or virus variant area: 10 – 14 days quarantine -> free testing not possible (depending on the federal state).
Where can I get tested?
– Paid tests are currently offered in test centres at most German airports. Follow the signs or staff directly to the Centogene test centres in the terminals. There is a charge for this. The opening hours of the test centres and information on whether advance bookings are necessary vary at all airports. Please check the website of the respective airport. The time until the test result can vary between 24 hours and 3 days.
– Another option is to have the test done by your family doctor, but most family doctors will only do this if you make an appointment in advance. When making an appointment, please take into account the opening hours of your GP’s practice (usually closed on Saturdays/Sundays) as well as the laboratory time required from the test until the test result is available (usually 1-3 days).
– Another option is testing via one of various offers with online ordering of the test set, which include courier collection, for example: www.mein-covid-test.de or www.centogene.com. Please note the time needed until the test result is available as well as the collection times (courier service often only possible Mon-Fri).
Of course, we can also help you with the test on your way back from Tanzania or Kenya and organise an optimal procedure until your departure.
We can also help with travel insurance, as at the moment there are some insurance companies that have a Covid-19 exclusion and do not cover travel countries in Africa.
Travel experiences of our guests in 2020 and early 2021 can be found under customer testimonials.
The information collected here is published on the basis of the respective valid rules for German nationals. All information is non-binding and without guarantee, as the situation can change very quickly at any time.
For travellers from Great Britain:
Feel free to contact us, we can assist you with all of the above.
Your Jambo Kilimanjaro Team